Videos are a powerful and entertaining way to educate others and ourselves. FVC has amassed a good collection on YouTube in several categories of viewing lists. Click here to browse through at your leisure.
Below is a short viewing guide to help you choose.
Chronicles of a Broken Promise
These two videos are well worth viewing and sharing again and again. Good inspiration for the 2019 federal election campaign!
- The Promise (:53) and
- The Betrayal (4:46)
- Here is a more comprehensive version of The Promise, including the part about evidence-based policy making (2:11). white space
This collection takes you to a series of excellent little videos that make the basic case for PR.
- Empty Feeling and A Fair Voting System for Canada (circa 2010) make the case for making every vote count in a very compelling way in less than 90 seconds each.
- First Past the Pizza (5:40) is perhaps the most viewed FVC video of all. The message is fairly simple and humorously delivered and can be used as part of one’s elevator pitch for PR – do you want one type of pizza for all or different types of pizza proportionately distributed?
- For a good laugh as an antidote to viewing the Trudeau chronicles, do try Don Ferguson’s (Royal Air Farce) Electoral Dysfunction: There is a Cure (2:33), produced around the time of the 2007 referendum in Ontario.
- We’ve included one of the CGP Grey videos here on The Problems with FPTP (6:33). This particular video is designed to understand the foibles of FPTP in a presidential system, but does a good job of addressing the fundamental problems of the system. It is one of many CGP Grey videos, which are quite popular with FVC supporters.
- In French, Rose (1:29) is a classic and humorous vignette on how first-past-the-post can absurdly elect a candidate disliked by the majority.
- For something truly inspirational, see MDN’s 2017 looking forward video titled, “En 2018, dotons-nous d’une démocratie dont nous serons fiers” (2:07).
Here is a quick guide to what is available for different systems. (“Pilon” refers to a series of PowerPoint based videos produced with Dennis Pilon in preparation for the 2015 election):
- On the Single Transferable Vote (STV), you have a 2016 FVC video available in English (3:09) or in French (3:49), along with one on how STV ballots are counted in Ireland (1:22), and a CGP Grey video (7:11).
- On Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP), you have Pilon in English (6:08) and Pilon with French subtitles (6:08). There is also a CGP Grey video on MMP with closed lists (4:37), although it is not included on our view list, and a video on MMP in New Zealand that was produced in preparation for the 1993 referendum (2:06).
- There are matching Pilon videos on a Jenkins inspired version of MMP that uses ranked ballots for the single-member seats in English (7:54) and with French subtitles (7:54).
- And two Pilon videos on Stephane Dion’s P3 system, in English (7:01) and with French subtitles (7:01).te space
Several sections of the FVC view list feature speakers who have educated and inspired us in recent years. Here are a few videos that remain of particular interest and relevance:
- Andrew Coyne’s keynote address on the way forward from the 2017 AGM, which offers up considerable wisdom on how to make a compelling argument for PR (40:02),
- Guy Giorno’s keynote address on the fundamental case for PR from a Conservative perspective, from our 2016 AGM (16:02).
- Two interviews with the leaders of the BC NDP and BC Green Party (2017) (12:58 and 11:40 respectively)
- The Great Debate, Broadbent Institute, 2016 (1:24:14).
The webinars section of our view list includes a number of webinars starting in February 2015. Accompanying slides, if available as indicated below, are filed chronologically on the Chapter Resources Google Drive. The following bullets provide a chronological walk through these webinars:
- 2015-02-12 – Webinar in anticipation of the 2015 federal election campaign, with representatives of the Liberal Party (Scott Simms), the NDP (Craig Scott) and the Green Party (Bruce Hyer). Anita Nickerson leads off with a PR-101 presentation. Anita’s slides are included in our Google Drive folder, but a more recent version is available – see 2016-04-09 below.
- 2016-04-09 – PR-101 and discussion on the differences and similarities of STV and MMP. Features Anita Nickerson and guests Tony Hodgson, David Farrell, Ryan Campbell and Steve Withers. A walk through the contents is available here. Here is Anita’s 90 slide PR-101 resource deck.
- 2016-07-10 – PR and Good Governance. This webinar includes a PR 101 presentation followed by author Solomon Orellana on his his book, “Electoral Systems and Governance: How Diversity Can Improve Policy Making.” Click here for a summary of the book.
- 2017-09-25 – Conversation with Dennis Pilon on the benefits of PR and the conditions for achieving electoral reform. Highlights the political character of what we are up against: politics masquerading as principles.
- A series of three webinars on systems with Byron Weber Becker. PPT slides available as indicated below.
- 2017-11-12 – PR Mythbusters, with Antony Hodgson
- 2018-02-17 – Learn to Use Twitter to Help the Campaign for PR, with Lindsay Brown.
- 2018-03-04 – Tasmania and the Netherlands, with Malcolm Baalman and Sjeng Berkx.
- 2018-02-12 – How to Manage a Successful Visit With Your Elected representative. Click here for supporting documentation.