Welcome to the FVC Discussion Forum!

Home Forums Fair Vote Discussion Forum Welcome to the FVC Discussion Forum!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jim in oakville 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

George
    Keymaster

Welcome to the Fair Vote Canada forum! Please read our rules here.

Hi! Introduce Yourself!

Reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Why do you support proportional representation and what kind of future would you like to see for Canada? If you volunteer with FVC, what is your role and what do you envision for FVC in the next 5 years? If you are not a volunteer, that’s absolutely okay! What might you want to do or learn with FVC now that you have joined this forum? What are your hobbies, interests and passions outside of electoral reform? Also if you have any questions about how FVC works this is a great place to ask.

Before you post, head to Gravatar.com and upload a cool photo of yourself so people will recognize you when/if you meet in real life. If you don’t want a picture of yourself, maybe choose something else like a Llama. Make sure to sign in to Gravatar with the same email address you used for signing-up on this forum!

FVC Places to chit-chat
    • The FVC Discussion Forum (this is where you are!) is for general discussion of electoral systems, current events, politics, and all things Proportional Representation related. It is also a space to talk about FVC campaign strategies, actions, and coordination. If you have an idea for a new topic, do a search to see if a topic exists and if it doesn’t feel free to start up a new topic! If you’ve got a question post it and you’ll likely get tons of insightful replies.
    • The FVC Events Forum is for planning and organizing events, get-together’s or for coordinating volunteering. Using the Events Forum can simplify email-faff and can help keep the logistics as clear as possible. It is also encouraging to new FVC supporters who might be interested in getting involved. You can also ask questions here and get resources, opinions and tips from others FVC supporters. This forum hasn’t been started yet, but hopefully will be soon!
    • The FVC Slack is a place for projects and chatting in real time about things. It’s great for election nights when things are happening quickly and you want to chime in on the action! Send an email to Gisela ([email protected]) for an invitation.</li

Our goal is to create tight-knit well organized community and we want to encourage everyone to chime in πŸ™‚

Pro Tips
    • Following a post: If you’re interested in a post you can subscribe for email updates whenever someone replies to it. At the bottom of the post, below where you reply, there is a check box with ‘Notify me of follow-up replies via email’ in it (ctrl-f Notify me).
    • Topic Tags: when you start a new topic, give your topic some tags. When people search for things on the forum, they might find your post by matching a keyword with one of your tags.
    • The forum uses a few html tags for formatting. For those of us who do not like code, there is a nice banner at the top of the reply box to help us format our text. To format text, type out what you want to write first, highlight it with your cursor, then click the formatting button. The /b button will bold text, /i will italicize text, /b-quote will format the text as a block quote, /del will cross out text and mark it with a date (if you want), code marks the text as code and won’t format it even if you have other formatting inside the code. There is no button to underline unfortunately.
    • To make lists and bullet points type out the list, then highlight each line and click the li tag for each list item. Then after you have finished the list, highlight everything and press either the ul button to make it a list of regular bullet points (unordered list), or the ol button to make it a numbered list (ordered list). To learn more about how to make lists, including nested lists see this resource on the li tag.
    Some cool Threads to check out

List Coming Soon

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  George.

George
    Keymaster

Who am I?
    I’m George. I’m from the West Coast in North Vancouver where I grew up doing many outdoorsy things at the same time as enjoying city life. I went to UBC Civil Engineering and many of my hobbies surround transportation, politics and the outdoors. I love the mountains, skiing, biking, hiking, exploring hot springs, rowing, windsurfing. I am currently training to run my first ever marathon which is exciting, but scary.

Why do I support PR?:
    Because I believe PR will allow people the freedom to express themselves through their political choices without the attitudes of fear and division that FPTP creates. I think it will allow parties to collaborate better with each other to create stronger policies, less flip-flopping on infrastructure projects, and more investment in green technology and our environment. I also think it will encourage people to come out to the ballot box to make their voice heard knowing that there vote will always contribute to electing someone who will represent them.

What kind of future would you like to see for Canada?
    I would like to see Canada have a form of Ranked Ballot, hopefully that will be in some form of STV or STV Hybrid like the Rural-Urban PR that was proposed for BC. Municipal elections mandated to held in STV format would be an amazing thing if the federal government has that sort of power (could they?).

If you volunteer with FVC, what is your role and what do you envision for FVC in the next 5 years?
    I am one of your moderators for this forum and I hope it will grow into a vibrant online community. I volunteered to help deliver fliers during the BC referendum, but other than that’s about as far as I have gone. I may get roped into more. Who knows. Every little bit counts! Hopefully FVC won’t be necessary in 5 years if all elections in Canada and BC are PR before then πŸ˜‰

What might you want to do or learn with FVC now that you have joined this forum?
    Hopefully help this forum grow into something that is useful both for current FVC supporters, can attract new people from across Canada, and can create a strong community with lots of resources to help us achieve our goals of PR dominance… *laughs maniacally*

*Note: feel free to copy this post and swap in your own answers!

jim in oakville
    Participant

Can we come up with a simple editable word document on a web site, that would summarize the options being considered followed by their pros and cons and a way members could vote for their preferred option.

Options. Favoured by initials or names
    A. STV. AB, CD,
    B. MMP closed. EF,
    C. MMP open. GH,
    Etc

A. STV
    – advantages:
    β€” disadvantages:
    E.

B. MMP – Closed
    Etc

jim in oakville
    Participant

β€œThe Liberals first embraced electoral reform at their 1919 leadership convention (the one that chose Mackenzie King)”

100 years later and here we are! Let’s get it done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.